Monday, January 7, 2013

Activity #1

'
As you can see I setup for the first experiment of Activity #1 by filling two 12 ounce cups full of water. 1 of the cups was water that I filled up in very, very cold tap water. The other cup was water that I filled with very, very warm tap water and then preceded to microwave the water for :45 seconds. If I could do this over again I would have taken the temperature of both waters before I put them in the freezer. I also would have recorded the temperature of the freezer. I didn't have a thermometer, however and just timed how long it took instead. I checked after twenty minutes and nothing had changed, except the cold cup got colder, and the warm cup was about room temperature. My hypothesis going into this experiment was that the cold water would freeze faster, because the hot water would have to cool a lot more than the cold water to reach freezing point. And I did this with my mom and she thought the hot water would freeze faster because it would be stunned and the molecules would slow down abruptly. 
Hot Water
Cold Water
After 20 mins.- Water changed to room temp.
After 20 mins.-Water got very, very cold
After 30 mins.-A very small amount of ice formed
After 30 mins.-Large amounts of Ice formed all over cup
After 40 mins.-Large amounts of Ice formed all over cup
After 40 mins.- 95% of the water was completely frozen
Some of the controlled variables were the kind of cups I used were somewhat insulated, I could have used a different container. I also could have used a larger or smaller amount of water. I could have changed the temperatures of water prior to putting them in the freezer. I also could have put the water in a different environment, or lowered or raised the temperature of the freezer. The theory of warm water freezing first was wrong and after witnessing evidence I am happy to be able to share with people that cold water freezes faster than warm water. 
This image is a good scientific picture on why I ended up with the result I did. the cold molecules stayed in side because of the relative temperature. And the warm water molecules some escaped. The second one I did was the salt water and regular water. I setup the same way as above and did the same water temperature for the cold water, except added 2 teaspoons of salt to the second glass. They both ended up freezing in relatively same time but the regular water had more ice and was more frozen. My hypothesis was right again because I thought since salt is used to melt snow I thought that it would take longer to freeze, and it did. The variables I could have changed were the same as above but I could have also changed the amount of salt used in this one. I had pictures of this one but had difficulty with my phone getting them on this one for some reason even though the other ones worked. The pictures would have looked the exact same however. And because the water was so close at each time they both had ice in the glasses but I know the regular water freezes faster because there was more ice than there was in the salt water. I would be happy to share with people that salt water freezes slower than regular water when at the same temperatures.

I struggled with the last experiment because my landlord hasn't come to fix my oven and was not able to boil the water elsewhere because I worked 60 hours over this break. I had difficulty overall with this first activity and know my grade will suffer because of this, but I will have to work that much harder on the next seven. Sorry to cheat not only my self but my audience (blog followers) stay tuned for better activities in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment